The initial shock wore off after a few hours, but the repercussions surface again and again. The divorce papers were no surprise, but still, you never expected to be served while you read a bedtime story to your daughter. Your estranged spouse retained an attorney and fired the first shot. It was a careful and surreptitious plan. Now, what will you do?
You are nervous, scared and hesitant. However, now, it is critical to retain an attorney yourself. You face a situation in which professional guidance is a necessity. Do not attempt to go through this alone. That is not wise. An experienced divorce attorney provides the knowledge you will need and can prevent the other side from taking advantage of you.
Complicated issues easily overcome
In a divorce situation, stress and pain remain guaranteed. The proceedings affect your emotions and your finances. So many different issues fly in your direction and must be promptly and confidently dealt with.
Legal dealings with divorce are complicated and time-consuming. An understanding and reliable attorney provides simple explanations about the proceedings and how they work, negotiates on your behalf and provides guidance to help you prevail.
Here are the areas and ways that a knowledgeable and empathetic attorney can help you:
- Child custody and visitation: Your children are important to you, and an attorney will help negotiate an agreeable and fair custody arrangement.
- Child support: Whether you have sole or shared custody, you must understand that child support payments are critical to ensure the finances that benefit your children.
- Spousal support/alimony: An attorney will help determine whether you qualify for alimony and will negotiate and fight to make sure you receive it.
- Division of assets: Determining marital assets is an important facet in divorce proceedings. The assets you accumulated during the marriage are marital property, which is subject to equal division.
- Protective orders: In situations where fear, danger and threats on your life surface, you need to know the available options. You must secure a protective order, and an attorney has the knowledge to help.
Uneasiness often remains for lengthy periods in connection with a divorce. But you want that uneasiness to dissipate sooner rather than later. An experienced attorney provides confidence and assuredness along with the direction you need.